Is Tsukiji fish market kids friendly?
TSUKIJI market is still popular sightseeing spot in Tokyo even after famous fish wholesale market moved to TOYOSU from Oct.11th 2018.
Although wholesale area has moved, many kind of food stores are stayed in Tsukiji and still so lively and exciting to see.
I usually would not recommend to visit with baby/small kids because its very crowded, but family also can enjoy if you know some comfortable area to walk.
Check opening date and hours before you go
First of all, better to know good timing to visit.
- Date: Most of shops are closed on Sundays and on some Wednesdays, and Saturday afternoon because fish wholesale market is closed.
- Time: 9:00 – 14:00 is the best for sightseeing.
For professionals, AM5:00 – 9:00.
Generally early morning is for professionals – general customer / tourists are welcomed from AM9:00. Then many shops start to close around 14:00.
not so fun after many store closed… better to be there at least by noon if you want to enjoy Tsukiji atmosphere.
“Uogashi”- best area to walk with small children
There is air-conditioned market area called “U-O-GA-SHI” 「築地魚河岸」. This new building is the best route for family.
→1st floor is market area but not so much crowded. Nicely air-conditioned – easier for baby/moms.
→3rd floor has casual food court type restaurant, free-rest space.
→3rd floor also has open-deck terrace space. Small kids can walk around a little bit.
■1F: Shopping market
Fish, shellfish, shrimps, vegetables,,, all seafoods are lively on sale.
Not only kids everyone can enjoy just to look around.
Some shops sells small potion for lunch – you can eat at free-rest space on 3F.
( Can not eat and walk on 1F )
■3F: Food court & terrace (open public)
There are couple of kind of casual restaurants, small rest space, and terrace deck on 3F.
You can eat those casual restaurant dishes, or you can eat the seafood you bought from market at free rest space / terrace table.
■Toilet / Diaper changing board (at Uogashi)
Clean diaper changing board is at accessible restroom.
Small shrine in Tsukiji market “Namiyoke”
At the very end of the Tsukiji outer fish market, there is Namiyoke shrine. (3min walk from Uogashi)
Fish-related worker keep coming to pray.
It might be nice chance to see local tradition.
Other tips for family with baby
- Better to use baby carrier (if you can). “Uogashi” is easier to walk through with stroller.
- Tourist information center has stroller keep service (please see photo below)
- No specific Nursing room or Child-care room in this area. Better to bring nursing cover.
(I was led to Multipurpose bathroom when I asked at information center)
Avoid at end of the year / New year holidays (for baby)
I must advise you that you better NOT take baby/toddler to Tsukiji market at new year holiday season.
It is very much crowded from about Christmas till Dec.31 every year.
Baby stroller never can go through, even holding baby could be almost crushed.
It’s so fun to see the excitement though,,, so if you want to experience it, better to go only by adults.
Other recommend place near Tsukiji
→Where is good place for lunch with baby/kids in TSUKIJI, Tokyo?
→7 family-friendly coffee shop / cafe in Tsukiji
→Comfortable cafe in Tsukiji with nursing room
→Sushi making experience in Tsukiji
→Beautiful Japanese garden “Hama-Rikyu”
- Where is good place for dinner with baby/kids in GINZA, Tokyo?
- 【Tokyo Station “GRANSTA” 】Don’t miss train as well as newest shops & Japanese gourmet
- 6 Best Japanese Toy/Character/Souvenir stores in Tokyo
- The first department store in Japan with nice roof-top terrace garden【Nihonbashi Mitsukoshi】
- Sanrio character shop in Ginza (HELLO KITTY, My Melody)