Skip to content

If your child get sick in Japan

When your baby/child or family members suddenly had fever or accident while you are traveling Japan – it’s upsetting but please understand there are many reliable hospital support.

Not every staffs / doctors are able to speak English well, but you can communicate via translation app or Google translator.

Depends on your situation or symptoms, here are informations helps you as first action.

Hospitals search throughout Japan

When your family got sick, you might be in Osaka, Kyoto, or Hokkaido.

This is the “Guide for when you are feeling ill”, it has latest hospital search provided by Japanese government. (Japan National Tourism Organization)

Guide for when you are feeling ill ( Link to official site )

When you are not sure next action

If you don’t know you should go to hospital or even call ambulance, This guide will help you for next action.

There is call center if you call #7119, but Japanese speaking only.

English available on Website.

TOKYO EMS GUIDE (Link to official page)

[Call] Medical Information Service for Foreigners

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government (Bureau of Public Health) provides information on medical institutions for foreign patients by telephone everyday, 9:00 – 20:00.

Consultants will guide you to medical institutions that provide services in foreign languages.
(This service’s nick-name is “Himawari” )

Medical Information Service for Foreigners (by Tokyo Metropolitan Government )
*Please chose your language first when Japanese page shows up.

Phone number : 03-5285-8181 ( from outside of Japan 81-3-5285-8181 )

Languages : English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Spanish

Service Hours : Everyday 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. (available 365 days a year)

[Call] Japan Visitor Hotline (24h/365day)

This is not specialized about medical, in general though, helpful when anything happened in midnight or holiday.

Japan Visitor Hotline (by Japan National Tourism Organization )

Phone number : 050-3816-2787

Languages : English, Chinese, Korean

Service Hours : 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

[Call] Emergency Translation Service at hospitals

When you need translation at hospital, this call service will assist with translation between you and the doctor over the phone.

But please note it is available only during 17:00-20:00 on weekdays, not available daytime or weekends.

Phone number : 03-5285-8185 (by Tokyo Metropolitan Government )
*From outside of Japan : 81-3-5285-8181

Languages : English, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Spanish

Service Hours :
Weekdays 5:00PM – 8:00PM, Saturdays, Sundays, Holidays 9:00AM – 8:00PM

[Emergency] For Ambulance : Call “119” in Japan

If ambulance situation happened, Press “119” from your cell phone or ask anyone around you. (hotel staffs or anyone)

If you have to ask in Japanese for help, Ambulance is “KYU-KYU-SHA” in Japanese.

Guidelines for emergency calls to 119 (Link to Tokyo official site)

Related articles

4 Hospitals with Pediatric department which takes international patients in Tokyo

When you or your child have fever in Japan, Which products are helpful?

[ Web portal ] Best Japan Travel Guide Portal

Sanitary goods in Japan – for household use, for visiter to Japan


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *